31 March 2022

Everything You Should Know About An Electrical Short Circuit

Photo by Greg Bulla on Unsplash

Before you start looking into the details of an electrical short circuit it is essential to understand that electricity is dangerous. In addition, you should note that the majority of electrical procedures cannot legally be done by a homeowner, you need to hire a professional. 

That’s why, if you think you have a short circuit or any other electrical issue, you should contact a reputable Sydney electrician and let them sort the issue. 

The Short Circuit

A short circuit simply means electricity is flowing in the wrong place. All electricity from your home is split into circuits. This is the wires that pause at each outlet or light switch. The electricity moves out from the circuit box on the live wire and returns to the neutral, effectively making a loop. 

However, electricity is fickle. While the wire is safe and easy, there are times when there is an even easier path. 

For example, water is very good at carrying electricity, if you touch an open circuit with water on your hands the water will conduct the electricity and it will move through your hand. In short, you’re the path of least resistance. 

This will give you an electric shock, the severity of which depends on how high the electrical voltage is. 

Short circuits are often seen as flashed, particularly when you turn on or off a circuit. The flash is the electricity jumping and it can cause a fire. Electrical issues are one of the biggest causes of fire at home.

Causes Of A Short Circuit 

Now you know what a short circuit is you need to know what causes them. You may not be able to remedy the issue but knowing what it is will help. 

  • Water

As already mentioned, water is very conductive and will allow electricity to move in unexpected directions. Be vigilant when there is water around. 

  • Bad Connections

Perhaps the most common reason for short circuits is when the connections have become loose. This means they are capable of touching or arcing inside a switch, causing a short circuit and potentially a fire. You are likely to feel the electric shock if you’re touching a switch with bad connections.

  • Old Wiring

Wiring only lasts for 10-15 years. After this time the sheath is too badly worn and won’t contain the electricity properly. This is when you’ll notice short circuits and flickering lights.

  • Pest Damage

Pests, especially rodents, will eat anything. That includes the casing on your wires. When these are damaged you dramatically increase the likelihood of short circuits and electric shocks. 

  • Overloading

Finally, overloaded circuits will build up a heat residue that can cause an array of issues, including short circuits. You need to check that all circuits are safe and there aren’t too many appliances plugged in. 

Remember, your circuit breaker is designed to discover short circuits before you get electrocuted. That’s why you should get your main breakers checked if they keep tripping. They are your safety net and can warn you that you need an electrician. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!